Saturday, 18 May 2013

Come What MAY



May is always a busy month in my life.  At least it has been since meeting Tom.  With my mom-in-law's birthday on cinco de mayo, followed by two sister-in-law birthdays, Mother’s day, my brother’s  birthday, and then a brother-in-law birthday, we typically have a busy May.  Add in a long weekend trip and marathon in Austria, selling our house, finding a new place to live, and moving.  May 2013 feels like just about the busiest month I’ve ever experienced.  Did I mention that I’m coaching the junior girls’ soccer team at school?  We finished second overall and have our first playoff game next week.  Wish us luck!

I can’t use the words “busy” or “tired” with any of my young mom friends, since their response would surely be:  “Just wait until you have kids; then you’ll know what busy is!”  Thank you in advance for your kind and supportive words.  My blog readers are always good to me!  I’m sorry I haven’t been as good as I should be to you this month… especially moms.  We missed Joan’s birthday because we were in Austria, and missed my mom on Mother’s Day because we were house shopping.  I did still squeeze in a belated piece of birthday jewelry for Joan.

I had a hard time deciding what to make for Joan for her birthday.  Every day Joan wears a gold chain with a cross, and gold hoop earrings.  I didn’t feel like making a necklace or earrings really made sense, so I decided on the piece of jewelry she doesn’t have set: a bracelet.  It only made sense to make the bracelet in gold to match the other pieces.  To keep it neutral, I added both black and brown beads.  That’s my trick for being able to wear jewelry with any outfit.  We gave the bracelet to Joan along with a Salzburg (city in Austria we visited) beer stein and some Austrian dark chocolate.  I hope you liked your birthday gift Joan!

Life hasn't quieted down yet, although the stress has.  We signed a lease for our 2-bedroom apartment in Westboro on Thursday.  We will be moving next weekend (May 25-26), but the house doesn't close until June 3rd, so we can take it slowly.  Moving from a 3 bed, 2.5 bath home to a 2-bed, 1 bath apartment will be yet another adventure in my amazing married life.  
Our new living room

A lot of people think we're crazy, but we're super excited about living in Westboro, a green area in Ottawa from which we can walk to parks, bike paths, outdoor produce markets, caf├ęs, restaurants, and MEC.  Not to mention the 40 minutes closer we will be to our friends and family.  The smaller space will be an adjustment for sure, but it's one we've been talking about since visiting Africa and Southeast Asia and seeing how happy people can be with so much less stuff.  Maybe we'll love it... Maybe we won't.  The commitment is only for one year, and we're excited to see what will come of it.

6 comments:

  1. Firstly, I want to assure you and Tom that I love my birthday gifts. Thank you so much, Katie, for the bracelet. I wear it regularly. It certainly does go with anything.
    May really is a crazy month for being busy!! Just think how long I have been doing this. It used to be even busier, once upon a time.
    Your living room looks beautiful! I am really happy that you two are in Ottawa now. I pray that your experience in an apartment will be a wonderful one. Can't wait til you are moved in and I can see your new place.
    If you need me in your move, just give me a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog again . I really enjoy reading these.
    Busy for sure -and yes your mommy friends are busy -it is a different busy -but busy and hectic is busy and hectic-no matter the reason.
    Coaching the soccer team --good for you and best of luck!!

    I really like the look of the apartment-looks cozy. And as beautiful as your home in Arnprior is -home is where you make it and you will get to do more things that you enjoy. You two really live "just do it" and fast . LOL
    LOVE MOM XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked your bracelet and the rest of your gift Joan. Have you had a "Mozart Ball" yet?? I thought they were delicious. We didn't bring any home for ourselves since I'd probably eat them all in one sitting!

    Thanks for the nice compliments as usual mom. I love that you called the apartment "cozy". When we were rental shopping we realized that the words "cozy" or "quaint" pretty much just mean small!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bracelet :) ~ Another hand-made gift.... (Hope you had a good birthday Joan)

    All the best as you prepare for your move. As corny as it sounds ~ home is indeed where your heart is for sure. It will be an adjustment getting used to the cozy space -- but I think the location will be a GREAT adjustment.

    Cheers,
    Sheri


    PS -- LOVE the photo of you guys in Austria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sherita! And thanks in advance for the moving help this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Katie!! May was quite awhile ago now. I keep looking for your next blog. How's the new apartment? How's teaching summer school? How's living in Ottawa? Enquiring minds want to know!!!

    ReplyDelete