The first try was terrible. I cut it up to save the beads. The second try (left)... slightly better. The strands coming out from the circle were way too stiff and didn't look good at all, so I cut them off. I think that one was just good enough to prompt me to try one more time. The last try (center) was nicer, but still nothing like the stunning ornament I'd imagined. Strike 3, I was out. Back to the drawing board.
My next idea was totally different, and by this point I was a little less excited about making an ornament. I made a Christmas tree (right) for my Christmas tree. A little bit of experimentation led me to an outer tree made from head pins, with chain hanging through the middle as garland.
I wasn't quite sold on it until I started adding "ornaments" in the form of tiny beads hanging from the chain. Now I think it's pretty darn cute! Still no Dragon's Den material, but good enough for me and the tree I put up in my house.
Thankfully Tom and I went a little overboard on tree size again (they look way bigger in your living room than in a forest!) and there's plenty of room to hang my first two ornaments in not-so-visible spots.